top of page

Tax Preparation
[Documents I Need To Give My Agent]


Personal Information

All taxpayers will need the following to do their taxes.

  • Your social security number or tax ID number(and a Copy of Social Security Card)

  • Your spouse’s full name, social security number or tax ID number, and date of birth (and a Copy of Social Security Card)

  • Identity Protection PIN (year of Tax Return needed), if one has been issued to you, your spouse, or your dependent by the IRS

  • Routing and account numbers to receive your refund by direct deposit or pay your balance due if you choose

Dependent(s) Information

Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes.

  • Dates of birth and or tax ID numbers. Copy of Birth Certificate and Social Security cards and Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  • Income of dependents and of other adults in your home

  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

Many of these forms won’t be needed to file taxes every year. For example, you will only receive the investment forms you may need to file your taxes if you had distributions or other activity.


Forms W-2


Unemployment (1099-G)


  • Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC

  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

  • Office in home information, if applicable

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Rental Income

  • Records of income and expenses

  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Retirement Income

  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

  • Social security/RRB income: SSA-1099, RRB-1099

Savings & Investments or Dividends

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

  • Expenses related to your investments

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

  • Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)

Other Income & Losses

  • Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions - 1099-K

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

  • Jury duty records

  • Hobby income and expenses

  • Prizes and awards

  • Trust income

  • Royalty Income 1099–MISC

  • Any other 1099s received

  • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN

  • State tax refund

Types of Deductions

The types of deductions you can take depend a lot on your life situation. It’s likely you won’t need all of the documents listed below for your taxes.

Home Ownership

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

  • Real estate and personal property tax records

  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)

  • All other 1098 series forms

Charitable Donations

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

  • Records of non-cash charitable donations

  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

Medical Expenses

  • Amounts paid for healthcare, insurance, and to doctors, dentists, and hospitals

  • Amounts paid for qualified insurance premiums if paid outside of the Marketplace or an employer provided plan

Health Insurance

Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

Childcare Expenses

  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler

  • Amounts paid to a baby-sitter or provider care of your child under age 13 while you work

  • EIN number of Day care or Social Security Number of Sitter

  • Expenses paid through a dependent care flexible spending account at work

Educational Expenses

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

K-12 Educator Expenses

Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

State and Local Taxes

Amount of state and local income or sales tax paid (other than wage withholding)

Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid and / or personal property tax on vehicles.

Retirement & Other Savings

Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

Federally Declared Disaster

  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in

  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)

  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs

  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

  • FEMA assistance information

  • Check the FEMA website to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area

Self Employed Proof of Income

  • Pay stubs, W2, 1099's

  • Bank Statements

  • Profit/Loss Statements

  • Accountant Letter

  • Letters from Clients

  • Employment Contract

  • Letter from Employer

  • Company Dividends

  • Investment Property Income Statement

  • Disability Payments 

  • Alimony Statements/checks

  • Social Security Income

  • Annuity Statements

  • Pension/Retirement  Distributions

  • Workers Compensation

  • Child Support

  • Unemployment

  • Court Ordered Awards

  • Interest and Dividend Income (Stocks/Bonds)

  • Severance Statement

  • Commission Payments

  • Scholarships or Grants

  • List of clients and price list charged

  • Past Calendar schedule to prove your visits for work

Self Employed Proof of Expenses

  • Lease (car/office/storage)

  • Bank Statements

  • Credit Card Statements

  • Cancelled Checks

  • Receipts

  • Invoices Paid

  • Cash App Statements (Zelle, Venmo, etc.)

  • Utility bills for business address

  • Business Amazon Receipts

  • Inventory Purchased 

  • Phone Carrier Statements

  • Error and Omission Receipt

  • Licenses/Certification Receipts

  • Continuing Education Receipts

  • Rental Car/Airline Receipts

  • Group Health Insurance Statement

  • Worker Compensation Paid 

bottom of page